The Public House Theatre Announces Auditions for the 2017-2018 Ensemble
Profit Share Opportunities Throughout Season
The Public House Theatre in Lakeview is home to some of Chicago’s finest sketch comedy and theatre. They’re seeking a few powerfully creative minds to join the ensemble that creates, writes, directs, and performs in the majority of their productions. Now entering its FIFTH year, TPHT’s Ensemble has brought to their two stages such notable hit shows as “Bye Bye Liver: The Chicago Drinking Play,” “Game of Mobile Homes,” “Orange is the New Comeback,” “The Best Western This Side of The Mississippi (and the other side, too, we reckon),” and “Hamlet’s House” (part of the Theatre for Young Audiences program) among many, many more.
If you’re interested in being part of the TPHT creative family, we’re looking for people who are excited and capable of committing to:
- Participating in at least three productions in the 2017-2018 season (September ’17-August ’18), even beyond the realm of acting (eg. Writing, directing, marketing, etc.)
- Attend monthly “state of the union” meetings/family dinners
- Commit 5 hours/month of service to the theater and ensemble. (Ex. Working Box Office, Promoting Shows, Painting Scenery, etc.)
- Attend and support other ensemble shows at TPHT, and be strong contributors to the warm, creative, and lively atmosphere that we cherish.
We are also looking specifically for writer/directors! Please submit a writing sample to email@example.com to be considered.
- Ensemble members do not have rental fees for their shows or groups. They receive a portion of their profits and are encouraged to be as creative and excited about their projects as possible without worrying about fees or overhead. This includes tech and rehearsal space.
- Free admission to all shows at TPHT (1/2 price tickets for “Bye Bye Liver” for you and friends up to 4 people)
- Cheap drinks at the bar. Because we’re all in this together.
- Access to both the new TPHT film and podcasting arms.
Something to consider: We recognize that many of you in the theatre and particularly the comedy community are extremely busy. While a commitment to the TPHT Ensemble doesn’t preclude you from working outside of TPHT, we will expect that you make us your creative priority for you tenure as an ensemble member.
If you would like to be involved in our shows but don’t feel that you can commit fully to the time we’re asking, we’d still love to work with you, and see you at show-specific auditions throughout the year and/or hear your pitches for shows you’d be interested in having in our space.
We truly believe in being inclusive, not exclusive. But the Ensemble is as demanding as it is rewarding. We have a huge year planned across many media, from stage to podcasts to film, and it will take a great deal of focus and creative energy to grow as much as we expect to. We’re not a large ensemble, and we each rely on the other to bring their best talents at the highest level.
We’re excited to see what you have to offer!
Wednesday, September 6th, 6-9pm
Thursday, September 7th, 2-7pm
Monday, September 11: 6-8pm
Wednesday, September 13: 8-10pm
Sides will be provided at the audition.
3914 N. Clark St., Chicago, IL 60613
or an appointment to audition, please email your headshot and resume to Casting@ThePubTheater.com with “Ensemble Auditions” in the subject line. We’ll be auditioning groups in 30 minute blocks, so please indicate any time restrictions for the audition dates.
We regret that submissions without both a headshot and resume will not be considered.