The Public House Theatre Announces Auditions for the 2016-2017 Ensemble
The Public House Theatre in Lakeview is home to some of Chicago’s finest sketch comedy and theatre. They’re seeking a few powerfully creative minds to join the ensemble that creates, writes, directs, and performs in the majority of their productions. Now entering its third year, TPHT’s Ensemble has brought to their two stages such notable hit shows as “Bye Bye Liver: The Chicago Drinking Play,” “Orange is the New Comeback,” “Game of Mobile Homes,” “Fleetwood Macbeth,” and “Hamlet’s House (part of the Theatre for Young Audiences program) among many, many more.
2016-2017 SEASON (Partial List):
An American Carol (2016): A young politician is visited by three ghosts on the evening of a vote.
All In The Timing (2016): Selections of David Ives’ One-Acts
Game of Mobile Homes (2016): An Appalachian family feud that follows Season 1 of HBO’s “Game of Thrones”
The Annual Holiday Sh*tshow (2016): An ensemble-created celebration of the December holidays.
Doorstops (2017): A woman is caught in purgatory following multiple suicides
Macbeth (2017): A small-cast adaptation that explores the psychological trauma of war on soldiers.
If you’re interested in being part of the TPHT creative family, we’re looking for people who are excited and capable of committing to:
– Participating in at least three productions in the 2016-2017 season, preferably even beyond the realm of acting (eg. Writing, directing, marketing, etc.)
– Attend monthly “state of the union” meetings
– Attend and support other ensemble shows at TPHT, and be strong contributors to the warm, creative, and lively atmosphere that we cherish.
– Ensemble members do not have rental fees for their shows or groups. They receive a portion of their profits and are encouraged to be as creative and excited about their projects as possible without worrying about fees or overhead. This includes tech and rehearsal space.
– Free admission to all shows at TPHT (1/2 price tickets for “Bye Bye Liver” for you and friends up to 4 people)
– Cheap drinks at the bar. Because we’re all in this together.
– Access to both the new TPHT film and podcasting arms.
Something to consider: We recognize that many of you in the theatre and particularly the comedy community are extremely busy. While a commitment to the TPHT Ensemble doesn’t preclude you from working outside of TPHT, we will expect that you make us your creative priority for you tenure as an ensemble member.
If you would like to be involved in our shows but don’t feel that you can commit fully to the time we’re asking, we’d still love to work with you, and see you at show-specific auditions throughout the year and/or hear your pitches for shows you’d be interested in having in our space.
We truly believe in being inclusive, not exclusive. But the Ensemble is as demanding as it is rewarding. We have a huge year planned across many media, from stage to podcasts to film, and it will take a great deal of focus and creative energy to grow as much as we expect to. We’re not a large ensemble, and we each rely on the other to bring their best talents at the highest level.
We’re excited to see what you have to offer!
Monday, August 8th: 6-9pm
Tuesday, August 9th: 2-5pm
Saturday, August 13th: 2-6pm
Sides will be provided at the audition.
3914 N. Clark St., Chicago, IL 60613
For an appointment to audition, please email your headshot and resume to Casting@ThePubTheater.com with “Ensemble Auditions” in the subject line. We’ll be auditioning groups in 30 minute blocks, so please indicate any time restrictions for the audition dates.
We regret that submissions without both a headshot and resume will not be considered.